Philosophy has been studied at the Hebrew University since its founding in 1925. In 1927, after the death of Ahad Ha'am, a Chair in his name was established under the stewardship of Leon (Haim Yehuda) Roth. Roth, born, raised and educated in England, was at that time already teaching philosophy at the University of Manchester and arrived in Israel to begin teaching in the fledging Department of Philosophy during the academic year 1928-29. Samuel Hugo Bergman, who immigrated to Israel in 1929 from Czechoslovakia and was, at that time, Director of the National and University Library, also taught in the Department of Philosophy together with Prof. Roth.
Read more about A Bit of History